Popular Posts

Tuesday 14 January 2020

My Introduction To College Life


I love college, but starting a new program always makes me a little anxious. I've been to college once before, for Video Game Art. I went to Sault College in Sault Ste. Marie, around an 8-9 hour drive north west of Oshawa. It was my first time moving out and so far from anybody I knew at the time, but I still don’t remember being as nervous as I was starting my program this year.

I’ve been out of school for almost 5 years. Now, I live on my own, pay my own bills, have a full-time job that unfortunately barely covers the cost of those bills. I’ve been wanting to come back to school for programming for a few years, because I want to make video games, but I didn’t know anyone who could program. Finally, I decided to enroll into programming.

I’m anxious because I must continue paying these bills and continue living on my own, but without the reliability of my full-time job. As I type this, I still haven’t received my OSAP funds. Luckily my school has a great financial services department!

From their financial aid webpage: https://durhamcollege.ca/financial-info/financial-aid/osap. They give you a quick run down of what you’ll need to apply for OSAP, in my case, as well as other financial aid programs and links to their sites if you want to learn more or apply!

Now that my first week has passed, I am getting more comfortable in my new routine for the next 8 months. Remembering that everyone else is in my class is in a similar or comparable situation that I am reminds me that we’re all making risks everyday.  Sometimes we fail, and that’s okay, because from that failure we get one step closer to success.

My goals for this program are to hopefully graduate with honours. I never tried as hard as I could have in school, and after growing up, I really wish I had, so this time I’m going to. With that being said, please don’t fail me!




OSAP. (n.d.). Retrieved January 14, 2020, from https://durhamcollege.ca/financial-info/financial-aid/osap.

No comments:

Post a Comment