Popular Posts

Friday 10 April 2020

Semester Reflection


Has it really been 4 months since January? It feels like it has been years. This semester had quite a few ups and downs. For example, I never would have expected the grades I’ve been getting! Mid to high 90s is so much higher than I had ever done in school before. My biggest improvement coming from my new found skill of time management.


As far as the bumps this year? Where do I begin? On January 2nd there were threats of a third world war. For the first 2 months, almost the entire country of Australia was on fire. Most recently there is a global pandemic that nobody seems to be taking seriously at all. Personally, I have been self-isolating (minus groceries when necessary) for the past four weeks.


My birthday was March 11th and two days later, on March 13th (a Friday, might I add), our school stopped all classes indefinitely because of Covid-19. A corona-virus that originated in the Wuhan province of China, has done enough damage to the world that I can no longer attend my classes in person. Oh, and I was also laid off.


I was very frustrated at first, because I had been advocating for closing everything down, but when I was laid off I had lost my income. Luckily for me and others, the Canadian government seems to have really stepped up to the plate, and I’m glad to say that I am proud of how our government has handled the situation thus far. Even if I would have wanted a faster, more extreme, approach. Proactive, not reactive.


All in all, the online learning is getting the job done. Teachers have been marking us with much more leeway and as a result I feel like even though I’ll pass with great grades, that I’m cheating myself. Just because I’ve passed doesn’t mean I know what I’m talking about. I guess for now the future is on rocky ground, and so I’ll just be grateful that me and everyone else is safe for now. Knock on wood!

No comments:

Post a Comment